Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Not One Step Back, No Way

February 14th was easily the best day of 2015 so far.


What's the greatest way to spend Valentines Day? With your significant other being all cute and stuff? Wrong. How about marching through your city demanding justice and equal rights? That's more like it.
Yesterday marked the day of Moral March 2015 for the state of North Carolina. So naturally, a group of my friends and I headed downtown at 8:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning to be apart of this incredible event. We marched with the organization Planned Parenthood in the name of equal rights for women. Of course I would've gladly marched with any other groups that were there but the reason we were all there was because of our school's Young Feminists club.

It started out with Planned Parenthood giving out pink beanies, stickers, and Keith Haring print condoms to everyone marching with them. Then the president of the organization was introduced by a nice lady dressed up as birth control. 

 My friend Matt looking very excited to be there.


Then everyone there gathered in front of the Memorial Auditorium and we listened to a bunch of speakers including a lady from the NAACP, the president of the "Raging Grannies", some local musicians, and finally the brother of Deah Barakat. That last one really got to a lot of us. Incase you don't know, Deah Barakat was one of three Muslim students who were shot to death a few days ago in Chapel Hill. Deah was a graduate of my high school, so it's been quite a big deal here. 



We spent a couple Young Fems meetings making really rad posters. I'm pretty happy with how they came out. Everyone there loved the vagina poster. 













I did plenty of other things during my Valentine's Day but this was such a big highlight. I've never been a part of anything like this but it was so life changing for me. 





2 comments:

  1. that sounds like such an amazing event, it's always so great to feel like you're a part of something lifechanging like that. i'm happy you had a great valentine's :)

    // kani

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only been to one protest because I often don't hear about many happening where I live but I have been to one feminist protest that was such an enriching experience for me. I'm so glad that you were able to be a part of something like this and that you enjoyed it! Hopefully you will get a chance to do something like that again in the future.

    ReplyDelete

© Forever Bedhead 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis