Thursday, July 10, 2014

But I Try

My week has been a raging bore lately, so let's talk about things that aren't.

My entire social life has been pushed into three days of non-stop stuff (seeing the boyfriend, going to two parties, and one sleepover), so this weekend should be pretty cool. However, up until then all I've done is watch Netflix and listen to music and those things are definitely worth blogging about too.

One movie I've managed to watch this week was Frances Ha. I had passed it scrolling through my Netflix recommendation a few times, but never really thought about watching it. Then Rookie Mag put out a really good playlist based on the movie and I was dying of boredom, so I thought might as well give it a try. A very good decision on my part.
Basically, Frances Ha follows the everyday life of a girl (Frances) who is living in New York City and trying to make it as a modern dancer. It shows her progressing through her career, relationships with friends and family, and just life in general. The main premiss that keeps coming back into play, and to me is one of the major points of the movie, is her relationship with her best friend Sophie. It looked to me like their relationship was kind of a key factor in what was happening in Frances' life. If the two were on good terms, then life was going well. If they weren't on so good terms, then life wasn't ideal. When they had a falling out, then Frances' life would reach an all time low. The whole film is also shot in black and white, which I thought was really cool.
Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and thought Frances was a really relatable and awesome character. I definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone. Especially if you enjoy scenes where people are dancing/running through city streets while David Bowie plays.








The next thing on my list of awesome is a band, that I love very dearly, called The Front Bottoms. A friend of mine recommended them to me back around October, I think. For some reason it always takes me a while to actually take people's music recommendations into consideration. But a few weeks ago I finally looked them up. After that I found my self watching their music videos, following them on Instagram, listening to their albums on a loop, etc. Two days ago I went to FYE and bought my favorite album by them called 'Talon of the Hawk'. I think the main reason I like them so much is their songs, to me, are like every bad or uncomfortable feeling I've ever had turned into song form. Instead of it being unpleasant, it's extremely comforting. The songs also get stuck in my head A LOT. They're style isn't for everyone, but I do highly recommend them.

Twin Sized Mattress by The Front Bottoms

Funny You Should Ask by The Front Bottoms

Skeleton by The Front Bottoms

That segue-ways into another awesome thing I found this week while I was out buying that Front Bottoms album. FYE got this new piece of technology that I am amazed with. It's basically this big tablet and you can burn your own CD with it. It's original purpose was so that people could still buy certain albums in the store even if they didn't have it in stock. However, apparently, they started getting radio DJ's and other people just straight up making random mixes on it. If that's not customer service at it's finest that I don't know what is.

Finally, the last thing I'd like to talk about is a movie that I watched just last night. It's called It's Kind of a Funny Story. It's based on the book of the same title by Ned Vizzini and stars Keir Gilchrist, Emma Roberts, and Zach Galifanakis. The main plot line is this 16 year old boy named Craig starts getting suicidal thoughts, so he checks himself into the hospital and gets admitted into the psychiatric wing. It sounds a bit depressing, but the movie is actually quite funny and uplifting. It deals a lot with the stress that school and social situations put on teens. I feel like it was actually a lot more upbeat than the book was. In fact it leaves out quite a bit of the book, but it worked. I really enjoyed this movie and might even go watch it again in a few minutes. My favorite part of the entire movie was this imagination sequence they did, where Craig imagines himself as Freddie Mercury and he sings 'Under Pressure'. It was so great.







Song of the day // Modern Love by David Bowie 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© Forever Bedhead 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis