Saturday, January 17, 2015

At Least I Know I'm Free

These past two weeks have been glorious. Factors that contributed to said gloriousness:
  • A friend's sweet 16 party


It was a great party. It was held in a private room at a Mexican restaurant with a 10/10 DJ. His music progression throughout the night went from really cool Alt Rock, to middle school dance songs to really trashy Rap. So there was something for everybody. My friends and I munched on burritos and tiny cupcakes, then proceeded to dance the night away.   

  • the UNC vs. UofL basketball to which I got COURT LEVEL SEATS 






I've been to a few basketball games before, but this one was without a doubt the best one I have ever been to. Four rows back from the court, my two favorite teams playing each other, and the energy of the crowd was through the roof. In the end UNC won 72-71. They scored that last point in the last 15 seconds. It was insane. The picture of the bike dudes was from the half time show. They had some professional BMX guys, which was incredible to watch. 

  • multiple 2-hour delays for school due to winter weather
This one is self explanatory. Icy roads equals school starting two hours later than usual which equals me getting more sleep and allowing me time to pick up a croissant from Starbucks on my way to school. 
  • A very emotional Young Feminists club meeting
Four of my good friends started a club at school called Young Feminists. I, along with a lot of other students, are a member of said club. This past Thursday was the much anticipated "Body Positivity" meeting. I wasn't really sure what to expect from this meeting, but what I got was so amazing, eye-opening, and emotional. My two best friends spoke about their sexual assaults (just to clarify, they were two separate sexual assaults), which I was really proud of them for doing. Then one girl did a spoken word poem and another spoke about her past eating disorder. After everyone who wanted to share their story did, we wrapped up the meeting with a discussion about body representation in the media. By that I mean we talked a bit about different types of body shaming, then watched two "All About That Bass" parodies and Lily Allen's "Hard Out Here" music video. 
It was such am excellent meeting though. It really brought to attention that things like sexual assault and eating disorders are real and happening. It also defined the club as a school safe space, which I thought was extremely important. 



Ellie and I got quoted on the board. That was cool too. 
  • my schools annual "One Acts" performance
Lastly, my school's theater department had their annual "One Acts" performance. Basically, One Acts is a series of short plays (typically only one act, hence the name) that the International Baccalaureate theater students write and/or direct. I don't think any of them this year were student written, but they certainly did a fabulous job directing them. I had a few friends who were starring in them as well. There were five performed the night that I went and the subjects of the plays included a woman who overhears her own murder plot, what teenagers are thinking when they're awake at 4 am, a crumbling marriage, cannibalistic congressmen (that included a student smoking a real cigar onstage and kissing his fellow actor. The whole thing was fantastic), and three fetus' who are waiting to be born. They were all amazing and I was really freaking impressed. 




The cannibalism play ended with the two guys who kissed each other waving giant American flags and the rest of the cast singing"Proud to be an American" by Lee Greenwood. 

~~~~~

So you could call that an sort of life update/current events kind of post. Life's been pretty interesting lately. I hope yours has too. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© Forever Bedhead 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis