Sunday, January 18, 2015

Don't dream it. Be it.

I'm not sure how many of you have heard of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. If you have never heard of this, you probably won't understand anything I'm about to talk about but it'll be a fun story anyways. Also if you haven't heard of it, stop what you're doing and go find it online somewhere and then watch it and be amazed (and possibly a little weirded out).



I have been a fan of Rocky Horror since I was thirteen years old. I believe I heard about it from Tumblr, just like I do most other things. Last night I got to go to the live show for the first time ever and let me tell you, it did not disappoint.



When I started high school, I found myself making friends with all of the theater kids. I didn't really like theater, but half of them were in chorus with me and my cousins told me that theater kids are the coolest so I went with it. At one of our theater events, someone started playing Time Warp (from the movie) and a whole group of my friends broke out into the dance, but it wasn't the dance from the movie. They added all these other moves and lines and I was so confused. I asked them afterwards where they learned all of that stuff from and they proceeded to tell me all about the indie movie theater down the road that did midnight showings of Rocky Horror. I've tried to go multiple times since that day, but every time the plans fell through.



That is until last night of course. My boyfriend texted me during school asking if I would want to go to the showing that night. Our friend Sarah had told him about it and he was intrigued. I said hell yeah of course I wanted to go. I had been dreaming about this moment. We spent the rest of the afternoon working out rides, who was coming, all that good stuff, and when 11:30 rolled around off we went.



Once we arrived, we met up with my friends Matt and Austin. We entered the theater and a girl from school (one of the aforementioned theater kids) marked all of our cheeks with giant red V's in her lipstick. V stand for virgin, which in this case means someone who's never been to a live show before. As soon as we walked in we were greeted by half-naked people, mostly naked people, and just strange looking people in general. We were also greeted by Sarah and four other friends from school. The group of us grabbed some front row seats (technically third row seats), bought some prop bags, and waited for the show to begin.

the boyfriend with his Virgin marks feat. Matt's hand

Around 12:30 a man in a kilt got up on stage and explained the rules to us (my favorite being no smoking in the fucking theater and no fucking in the smoking theater). After he explained everything, the virgin initiation began. There were a lot of us that night, which I was very happy about. The cast packed all of us tightly together and all we had to do was grind on each other for about 5 seconds. Funny and painless. Then, the movie finally began.



The way the live show works (at least in my town. I'm assuming it's the same for all of them) is the movie plays on the screen, and then people act the movie out on the stage in front of the screen. They had props, costumes, and their lip synching was crazy good. While that's going on, this other guy shouts funny lines at the movie. It's hard to explain, but it's great. Trust me. Then there are the scenes where you're supposed to use the props. You throw rice during the wedding scene, put a newspaper over your head during the rain scene, hold up a lighter during the "there's a light" song, throw toilet paper for when Brad yells "great scott!", and other fun things like that too.
The big thing I had on my mind though was the underwear run. There's a point during the movie where the cast yells "Underwear run!" and anyone who wants to strip down to their underwear and run two laps around the theater is welcome to do so. My boyfriend had been really excited about this part all night so all four of us stripped down and did it. It was so much fun. I can not begin to explain how great it was. We were of course allowed to remain half-nude for the remainder of the show so I did that for a bit but eventually got really chilly.
The rest of the time there was great. I learned the mysterious Time Warp ways that freshman me so yearned to learn. I watched the cast in all their lip synching glory and just had an all around great night with my friends.
If you ever have the chance to go to your local showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show, by all means go. Bring your friends too. It's quite the experience.


super cute picture of us, the super cute couple, post-rocky

the title is from the song "Rose Tint My World" from the movie 

4 comments:

  1. I love this post so much! I remember being introduced to the Rocky Horror Picture Show in freshman year while reading/watching the perks of being a wallflower and it's always seemed so exciting!! I wish I lived somewhere cool with one of those neat indie theaters where I could see it live and go through the whole "de-virgining" process because you make it seem so lovely and awesome. For now, I'll take your advice and finally watch it online and enjoy being weirded out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there's somewhere near you that does it. It's a lot more common than you might think!

      Delete
  2. this was so cute! i've also been wanting to check out a show, but just like you my plans never go through. hopefully sometime soon, they will!!

    badsass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen the Rocky Horror Show, but I've always wanted to and this is a brilliant reminder for me to see it! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award, here's the link: http://www.hanniemc.co.uk/2015/01/liebster-award.html
    Hope you have a great day!
    Hannah x
    Hanniemc.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© Forever Bedhead 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis