Sunday, June 1, 2014

Beach Trippin' ✌

I was given a long weekend, so naturally I went to the beach.

Best friend in tow, we drove for two hours on Friday with the coast in our sights. I made her watch 'Cry Baby' (a John Waters film with Johnny Depp in it) on the drive down. She didn't like it as much as I thought she would, but she still liked it enough. After seeing it a few times the weirdness of the movie doesn't affect me as much anymore, but of course it was her first time watching so she was definitely weirded out. 
Once we got there, it was too late to really go anywhere so the two of us ended up playing Cranium for an hour. Which was much more entertaining than last time, when I tried to play with my mom and my grandma. At least my competition actually knew who Radiohead was this time. After that, she revealed to me that she had never been to Olive Garden before. So naturally, we headed to Olive Garden because if you have not tasted their breadsticks, you have not lived. Also, we got an extremely attractive waiter with tattoo sleeves and a stylish haircut. I believe his name was Dustin. Once we got home, we organized a Skype/Cards Against Humanity session with our guy friends. That whole experience lasted until around 12:30-1 AM. Then I continued to Skype with the boyfriend until around 2. All in all, it was a fantastic use of Skype. 

Saturday we had originally planned to hit up the beach but we ended up being too tired and unwilling to get our hair full of sand. So, as a teenage girls do, we went to the mall instead. It proved to be your usual shopping trip until we came across Elsa and Olaf. Yes, as in the characters from Frozen. The mall was doing a "take your picture with Queen Elsa and Olaf!" type thing. There was a freakishly long line of disheveled parents and their 5 year olds waiting to get their picture taken. The girl dressed up as Elsa was gorgeous and the dress was perfection. Olaf was a different story..... 


 Is that not terrifying?? One boy started sobbing when they tried to get him to stand next to the poor snowman. We stood and watched this whole fiasco for quite a bit. Splitting our attention between that and Frozen playing in the eyebrow salon next door.
Later that evening we went to my Aunt's house to celebrate my cousins birthday. I was excited to meet his new girlfriend who he'd been keeping a secret from us for a while, or at least tried to. Last time I was staying at their house I got back late and heard them both in his bedroom while his parents were out. Anyways, she was short and adorable and a total geek. I think they'll make a wonderful couple. She's also a gender studies major, which was very cool. The whole family visit was especially interesting actually. Due to lack of coordination, there ended up being six cakes. Most of them were
really good so there was no complaining. 


After the socializing died down a bit, Ellie (the best friend) and I walked from the house down to the neighborhood dock. It was during sunset, so it was absolutely gorgeous. We caught some small crabs and sat in my uncle's boat for a little while. The whole thing was so peaceful. 




When we got back to my grandma's, we decided to walk down to the pool. Since my grandma lives right near a large marsh, her neighborhood is always littered with frogs at night. We spotted quite a few on our way to the pool. Once we got there, the water was super warm and felt great against the chilly night air. I waded into the pool to waist deep and just stood there with my hoodie lifted up, while Ellie swam around for a bit. Due to lack of street lights, you could see the stars and planets in the sky. It was lovely. Cars can't really be heard from the pool either, which was also nice. We stayed out until the water started cooling down




Sunday (today) we finally ended up going to the beach. It wasn't hot enough to actually swim or lay out, so we just let the waves wash up onto our feet. The best part of the beach was this small group of people sitting close to the water. Let's go through the people that made up this group:

Joint Guy- My favorite person of the day. He was smoking a joint and doing some sort of spiritual dance. He didn't pay to much attention to the others. At one point he came into the water and continued his spiritual dance. Then he bent down to place his hands in the water for a bit. The last we saw of him was when he left to walk down the edge of the water and swayed the whole way to whatever music was in his head. 
Guitar Girl- A girl I mistook for a guy at first. She had her guitar with her and looked very happy. Talked to a heavily tattooed girl the entire time. 
Loincloth dude- That's basically it. He wore some sort of loincloth over a black speedo the majority of the time. 
They also had some sort of african drum with them as well. They were playing it when we got there. 

After our beach endeavor, we got lunch and headed home. We watched one of my favorite movies, Whip It, the entire way back. Now I'm home and I've been listening to the Whip It soundtrack this entire time. I've also decided to change my blog title to one of the Roller Derby names that I came up with in the car. I'm pretty proud of it. 

Happy June 1st everybody. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© Forever Bedhead 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis