Monday, May 26, 2014

What a Weekend

Let's start with Friday afternoon. 

After school let out on Friday, I had plans with Maggie to go to our favorite record store. It ended up being the two of us, plus Ellie, Izzy, 'Taylor-the-senior', and Dinklecamp (he has a first name too, but his last name is so perfect I'm going to use that instead). We all piled into Taylor's car and drove down the street to the record place. This store has to be one of my favorite places in town. It's within walking distance from my school, which makes it even more perfect. It's located in the basement of this other building and you can only get in through the back door. I believe I wrote about it in one of my other posts. This time when we went in, one of Kirk's friends had brought their dog with him. Her name was Waffle and I'm pretty sure she was the sweetest dog I have ever met. The entire time she followed us around the store and was constantly jumping and licking on us. At one point, Izzy was so in love with her that she just picked Waffle's up and carried her around the store over her shoulder.
The original point of going to the store was to buy one of the 'mystery boxes' which are essentially just beer boxes filled with random vinyl. We knew that that's where all the unwanted records went, but they were only five bucks a box, so Maggie and I bought one. There was a lot of Broadway stuff in it.


 Once we were all through in there, Taylor drove Ellie and I back to the park next to school. We met Matt, who was with some people we had never seen before. They turned out to be friends of our friend Mason. I noticed one of the girls had self harm scars all down her thighs. They left pretty quickly though, which left Matt, Ellie, and I at a loss of what to do. We ended up playing frisbee with a guy from school named Ian and his friend. Which was nice, but also sucked because I'm absolutely terrible at frisbee and Ian is one of those people that you always feel the need to be cool around. Luckily, Aidan passed through the park, and I got to go and talk to him instead. By the time Aidan and I were finished talking Ian was leaving, so my friends and I went on our merry way. By that I mean we watched some kids from another school play football and then we laid in the grass and stared at a cloud that looked exactly like a dragon.
                                                

               



 Now onto Saturday. 

The first part of the day I went to the pool with Ellie, Matt, and Max. It was a nice time and Ellie let me borrow her 'X-men: Days of Future Past' comic.
Then right after, I went to Skylar's house for our sleepover/concert adventure. Skylar had the most gorgeous place I've ever been in. She lives in a huge apartment building right in the middle of downtown. Inside, half of the wall space is just window glass that looks over past of downtown. Her apartment is pretty high up, so it feels like you're living in the sky. Same with her bedroom. The wall next to her bed is just window. It's absolutely gorgeous at night.


 Anyways, I got there and she brought me onto the balcony of the rec room where everyone else (Brinn, Emma, Hunter, Logan, and Malik) were sitting and eating pizza. We sat and talked for a bit and then dipped our feet in the pool for a few minutes. Then, since Skylar has an obsession with group pictures, we got some random apartment resident to take out picture. We then headed out to the concert.
The venue was just a few blocks from the apartment, so we got to walk through downtown for a bit. That day was also the local 'comic-con/anime-con' thing, so I spotted a lot of random people in cosplay. Some of them were pretty impressive too. I should probably mention that the band we were going to see was Neon Trees. Along with the openers Nightmare & the Cat and Smallpools.

This building was right next to the venue. I wonder what it was.


Graffiti on the venue


I'll skip all the waiting in line nonsense and get right to the concert. We got in, bought some merch, and headed straight for the stage. We got pretty close too, which is always nice. After a bit, the lights dimmed and the music began.



Nightmare & the Cat-  Small band, but really good. The lead singer was absolutely gorgeous. At one point, I heard Hunter go "He's so pretty!!" I was just in awe of his gorgeousness the entire time (that includes his voice too). They also had a girl guitarist, who looked like she belonged at Coachella. She was wonderful.  


Smallpools- This group is actually pretty well known. They come up on my 8tracks all the time, and they've been on plenty of late night talk shows. You've probably heard 'Mason Jar' or 'Dreaming' at some point. My friends didn't really like them very much though, which is a shame. At one point, they through these inflatable killer whales into the audience. The were spray painted gold on some parts and said 'smallpools' across one side. Malik caught one. But holy shit, they cranked their bass up so much, it physically hurt. Not in a good way.


Neon Trees- Holy shit you guys. This band is so, so incredibly good live. I can't even begin to describe. Tyler Glenn sounds exactly the same in person as he does on all of their records. His dance moves are fabulous as well. There was one point where he crowd surfed, and while everyone was rushing to try and touch him, Skylar and I made a run for the very front row. We didn't get close enough to touch the stage, but we got close enough that Tyler was within arms reach. It was beautiful. Then, just as you thought the concert was over, they started inflating this giant brain that looked like the one of their new album. Once it was completely pumped up, they started playing 'Where is my Mind?' by the Pixies. It was so perfect. I also got to touch the keyboardists hand. He isn't Tyler or Elaine, but he's still cool.



The only problem I had at the concert was, since the bass was turned up so much, I actually got physically sick at one point. It was actually really embarrassing. Nobody except the two girls next to the trash can knew about it though. So that's nice.
Once that was over, we all walked back to the apartment, said goodbye to the boys, and went and chilled in Skylars room until 2 AM. Just talking about random stuff and the bitchy girl who was standing in front of us.

I'm the pair of black vans



Best photobomb ever


The last part of my Friday consisted of me running downstairs and out of the blue asking my dad if we could go see the new X-men movie right that minute. To my surprise, he agreed to it. We left the house a few minutes later, right on time to catch the new showing. I'd love to rant about how absolutely brilliant that movie was, but that'd take up way too much space.


 Sunday was a bit less exciting.

Once I got back from the sleepover, I had to change super quickly and go straight to the movies to meet some people and my boyfriend. The original plan was to get Five Guys and go see Godzilla. However, when I got there they were eating Ben & Jerry's and turns out they had gotten the time for Godzilla wrong. I convinced them that we should see X-men instead which, after a bit, they agreed to. (One of them claimed she didn't like superhero movies. Excuse me. How?) Just as amazing the second time around. After that I got a chance to go home, eat actual food, and sleep for a bit. Eventually, I went to my boyfriends house. Originally, I had been told I was being invited to his family cook out. When I got there, they decided to make chicken and potatoes instead.
I met some grandma's, said hello to the parents, and then we spent the entire time in his room playing Portal 2 and Lego Star Wars. It was an evening well spent.


 And now it's Monday.

Two days after the concert and I still have a ringing in my left ear. After some group messaging, I found out everyone else does too. That's what too much bass and loud speakers does to your body kids. Note to self: wear earplugs next time. Your hair covers them up anyways.

Here's the tiny bit of 'Where is my Mind?' I managed to get before I ran out of space:


0 comments:

Post a Comment

© Forever Bedhead 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis