Monday, November 17, 2014

She had a pretty sweet 16

For some reason it always comes as a weird shock to me that my friends are all turning 16. In the books and movies it's the age where things all start happening. It when you start developing weird powers, find out some dark secret about your family's past, find teenage romance, or at the very least start driving. I don't get that until March, but recently so many friends have been hitting that age and it's very surreal to me to watch people I've known since the 6th grade turn 16.

Saturday was my friend Skylar's 'sweet 16' and of course I went. She held the party in the club room of her apartment building. It was such a nice event. Her parents hired a catering service and and our friend Ryan DJ'ed. There were two places that everyone could hang out. Either inside, which entailed dancing, food, and couches, or outside on the terrace, which entailed huddling around the fire wrapped in blankets. People spent most of the party switching between the two areas.




The party started out with everyone inside dancing like crazy to whatever good music Ryan decided to play and grabbing some food in between songs. Since mostly everyone were friends, or at least knew each other, nobody was afraid to hold back on the sweet dance moves. After a bit of dancing, Ryan stopped the music and called Skylar up to sing a duet with her. Skylar is easily one of the most talented musical theater kids at school, so everyone was glad to stop a listen to her angelic voice. Then we all sang her a very off-key 'happy birthday' and returned to dancing. Later on at the party we also got to hear a boy rap to "Mercy" by Jay Z and then he and Ryan had a beatboxing battle. Which Ryan won, but his was still really impressive. Then our friends Ocean and Lexi sang a duet and Skylar and Ryan returned to the mic with a rendition of "Happy Little Pill" by Troye Sivan. Being friends with/a part of the school arts department certainly makes for interesting parties.


After four hours of dancing, everyone started to get a bit tired so over half the people there retreated to the fire pit outside. I decided to stay in the heated club room a little longer and I got the beautiful privilege of seeing a boy named Tex twerk like I have never seen before. The fact that it was to Anaconda made it that much better too. After that experience, I gave in and joined the others by the fire. It was probably around 30 degrees outside (fahrenheit) or less. I cuddled under a blanket with my friend Sam and talked to him and Raney and Maggie until he decided to go inside.



Once 11:30 hit, the catering people packed up their stuff and everyone started heading home. Some final group pictures were taken and there were many hugs and "thank you for coming!"s.
Before I left, Skylar gave me a big hug and I rested my head on hers because I could do that in my new heels. She told me thank you for making her party great and I said thank you for being great and I walked with Raney, Maggie, and Hunter to the elevator.









0 comments:

Post a Comment

© Forever Bedhead 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis